fedrtc.org -> infrastructure?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri May 22 14:21:20 UTC 2015

On Tue, 19 May 2015 13:45:39 +0200
Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.pro> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> At some point, it would be good to see fedrtc.org migrate to Fedora
> infrastructure and use the fedoraproject.org domain

Possibly. ;)

Do you have any stats on usage since you announced it?
I worry that we would get it all up and running and no one would use
it. ;(

> I'd be happy to submit the full request for resources[1] but I just
> want to see if there is any initial comment on it.  Here is a list of
> what is involved:
>
> - it uses a PostgreSQL database schema[2]
>
> - it requires some DNS entries (SRV and NAPTR), examples[3]
>
> - it needs a TLS cert for fedoraproject.org on the host(s) where it
> runs

Those are all easy. ;)

> - it has static HTTP content and PHP that is currently hosted with all
> but one problem[4] on a RHEL7 httpd.  Content is in Github[5], it
> could be presented as an RPM if necessary.

I'm not too crazy about PHP. Would it be hard/possible to re-write
things in something else? say flask?

Is this a common codebase used by the other projects that run this?

> - all packages are in EPEL7, except:
>     cajun-json in EPEL6, in testing for EPEL7
>     resiprocate in Fedora, builds from SRPM on RHEL7
>
> - the SIP proxy is a single daemon, managed by systemctl.  All
> settings in a single file, /etc/repro/repro.config
>
> - the TURN server process is also a single daemon, managed by
> systemctl. All settings in a single
> file, /etc/reTurn/reTurnServer.config
>
> Just to clarify the scope of this: it is not a full telephony service
> like Asterisk, just a SIP proxy and TURN server.  There is no
> persistent state information (as there would be for voicemail, email
> service, etc) and no customized routing.

Yeah, thats nice. ;)

Some really dumb questions:

* This does jabber/XMPP?

* How about video/webrtc? with multiple people? or just person to
  person?

* What are the common use cases you have seen people use it for?

> Ongoing maintenance requirements:
> - TLS certificate renewals
> - monitoring the ports
> - package updates from time to time
>
> It currently runs on a lab machine, I'd be happy to arrange SSH access
> to the Fedora Infrastructure team to see exactly what is involved and
> verify that it is manageable.
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniel

Thanks for working on this. I find it definitely interesting... i just
want to make sure we have enough use cases and people who would use it
before we commit to running it.