haproxy and mirrorlists

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu May 28 22:59:59 UTC 2015

So, currently we have 5 mirrorlists servers, spread out around the
world in 5 datacenters.

Haproxy on our proxies sends requests to all 5 of those as they come
in. This means for example that a request could hit proxy01 and it
could send it to mirrorlist-host1plus in germany and then the reply
comes back out proxy01 to the user. Not only does that mean there's
more traffic on our vpn, but the answer is slower for the user.

5 of our datacenters have a local mirrorlist in the same datacenter,
but currently it's just one of 5, so gets only 20% of traffic or so.

I'd like to change the haproxy config from being a file to a template.
In that mirrorlist section:

listen  mirror-lists 0.0.0.0:10002
    balance hdr(appserver)
    timeout connect 30s
{% if datacenter == 'dedicatedsolutions' %}
    server  mirrorlist-dedicatedsolutions mirrorlist-dedicatedsolutions:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3
    server  mirrorlist-host1plus mirrorlist-host1plus:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3 backup
    server  mirrorlist-ibiblio mirrorlist-ibiblio:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3 backup
    server  mirrorlist-osuosl mirrorlist-osuosl:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3 backup
    server  mirrorlist-phx2 mirrorlist-phx2:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3 backup
{% elif datacenter == 'host1plus' %}
    server  mirrorlist-dedicatedsolutions mirrorlist-dedicatedsolutions:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3 backup
    server  mirrorlist-host1plus mirrorlist-host1plus:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3
    server  mirrorlist-ibiblio mirrorlist-ibiblio:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3 backup
    server  mirrorlist-osuosl mirrorlist-osuosl:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3 backup
    server  mirrorlist-phx2 mirrorlist-phx2:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3 backup
{% elif datacenter == 'ibiblio' %}
    server  mirrorlist-dedicatedsolutions mirrorlist-dedicatedsolutions:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3 backup
    server  mirrorlist-host1plus mirrorlist-host1plus:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3 backup
    server  mirrorlist-ibiblio mirrorlist-ibiblio:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3
    server  mirrorlist-osuosl mirrorlist-osuosl:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3 backup
    server  mirrorlist-phx2 mirrorlist-phx2:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3 backup
{% elif datacenter == 'osuosl' %}
    server  mirrorlist-dedicatedsolutions mirrorlist-dedicatedsolutions:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3 backup
    server  mirrorlist-host1plus mirrorlist-host1plus:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3 backup
    server  mirrorlist-ibiblio mirrorlist-ibiblio:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3 backup
    server  mirrorlist-osuosl mirrorlist-osuosl:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3
    server  mirrorlist-phx2 mirrorlist-phx2:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3 backup
{% elif datacenter == 'phx2' %}
    server  mirrorlist-dedicatedsolutions mirrorlist-dedicatedsolutions:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3 backup
    server  mirrorlist-host1plus mirrorlist-host1plus:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3 backup
    server  mirrorlist-ibiblio mirrorlist-ibiblio:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3 backup
    server  mirrorlist-osuosl mirrorlist-osuosl:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3 backup
    server  mirrorlist-phx2 mirrorlist-phx2:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3
{% else %}
    server  mirrorlist-dedicatedsolutions mirrorlist-dedicatedsolutions:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3
    server  mirrorlist-host1plus mirrorlist-host1plus:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3
    server  mirrorlist-ibiblio mirrorlist-ibiblio:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3
    server  mirrorlist-osuosl mirrorlist-osuosl:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3
    server  mirrorlist-phx2 mirrorlist-phx2:80 check inter 5s rise 2 fall 3
{% endif %}
    option  httpchk GET /mirrorlist
    option  allbackups

This means that for the 5 proxies with a local mirrorlist server in their same datacenter,
they use that one unless it's down, then they use any of the other ones.

This should reduce traffic on our vpn and give people faster mirror answers.

Did I miss anything here? Does the change look good?