fedrtc.org -> infrastructure?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Sat May 30 17:42:45 UTC 2015

On 30/05/15 17:57, Mathieu Bridon wrote:
> Le samedi 30 mai 2015 à 16:46 +0200, Daniel Pocock a écrit :
>>> * What are the common use cases you have seen people use it for?
>>>

>> Some Debian Developers have tried interviewing GSoC students using
>> WebRTC.  It is important to show the students, from their very first
>> contact with our projects, that we don't depend on any proprietary
>> stuff like Skype or WhatsApp.
>>
>> Another use case is testing the various SIP packages (GNOME Empathy,
>> Linphone, etc).  If we want people to take these things seriously we
>> have to be able to show that we can run them in our own communities,
>> even if IRC and mailing lists are the preferred means of
>> communication.
>>
>> Another use case is demonstrating federation.  There was a demo at a
>> conference recently, a debian.org user calling a fedrtc.org user with
>> WebRTC.
>
> Could it also be used the way some use Google Hangouts: to film a talk
> at a conference, and live-stream it on a web page somewhere?

Yes, you could use SIP or XMPP to get the stream to some server with
bandwidth to multicast it or serve many simultaneous viewers.

For unidirectional streaming you don't necessarily need SIP or WebRTC
though.  WebRTC is helpful because it can get the stream through NAT and
firewalls though.

It could also facilitate remote participation at events like Flock, e.g.
for people watching the stream remotely to ask questions.  This might
require some more effort from the team managing the video, but the SIP
solution will provide a foundation for them to do that when they are ready.

Regards,

Daniel