Getting started with ideas for IoT on Fedora

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 00:33:46 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I've just done the following blog post [1], I'm just going to paste it
into this message pretty close to verbatim to make it easy to start a
conversation on thoughts on ideas.

So a number of people have been discussing the Internet of Things on
Fedora for some time.

As I outlined in my Using Fedora as a base for the IoT revolution talk
at Flock there’s a lot of use cases and components that make up a
complete IoT stack. I think initially we should focus on two initial
goals rather than biting off too much:

* A IoT internet gateway device
* A IoT sensors endpoint device

The general idea here is that both of the above would be a very
minimal shared build, likely using atomic images to enable easy
update/rollback with some specific components for each use case.
Initially I suggest we focus on a single, or maybe a couple, of
specific devices to limit the scope to something more achievable and
to add features as we go.

IoT internet gateway device specs and features:
* Wired and/or wireless ethernet to provide internet connectivity
* Bluetooth Smart (AKA LE)
* Thread Stack support (6LoWPAN and friends)
* 802.15.4 support
* MQTT Broker support (not standard for a IoT GW but enables easier
localised testing)
* MQTT Client
* Atomic support: updates, rollback etc
* Works with both our endpoint below and other IoT OSes such as Contiki

IoT internet sensors endpoint specs and features:
* Wired or wireless ethernet IP support
* Bluetooth Smart (AKA LE)
* Equivalent to Thread Stack support (6LoWPAN and friends)
* MQTT Broker support (not standard for a IoT GW but enables easier testing
* MQTT Client
* CoAP client
* Atomic support: updates, rollback etc
* Support for various inputs and outputs and sensors

I have no doubt missed a lot of details in the above use cases, it’s
somewhere to start. I think we also need to look at tools like
Node-RED and tools for managing the devices. IoT is a big topic, the
idea is we need to start somewhere so thoughts, ideas etc welcome :-)

Peter

[1] http://nullr0ute.com/2015/09/getting-iot-kick-started-on-fedora/