"Getting the ball rolling.."

warren warren at fedoraos.org
Fri Dec 2 01:55:17 UTC 2011

While I realize there's a large possibility this will simply be ignored
by anyone in a position to do anything about it, I'm starting the thread
anyway so that these things are said, there's a record of it and for
anyone else who wants to point out similar problems in the future to
reference back to.

 There are many large holes in the Fedora community and, in particular,
its largely improperly regulated IRC presence. There is a quote which
has been attributed to Stan Lee and Franklin Roosevelt "With power,
comes great responsibility". Keeping this in mind, within any
organization there will be obvious reasons for some to have more power
than others in certain affairs, this is logical and understandable to
maintain sane continuity. It's also reasonable to assume that those with
these various powers have the responsibility to exercise said powers
effectively, intelligently and fairly. This is not and simply has not
been the case in either the #fedora-* or #fedora-unity* channels. This
is an opinion shared by many intelligent people who have passed through
the doors of both organizations for some time. It's certainly a problem
and a concern that seems to be regularly brushed under the rug for fear
of stepping on someones ego, threatening the power structure, fear of
change or lack of knowing exactly what to do or how to implement to
change it.

 To me and others that share this opinion is it of paramount importance
to find a solution and apply it asap. I do realize that the main point
of #fedora is not to make users happy or implement any certain policy,
but to provide a diverse testing platform for a commercial product
(RHEL) that only a select few in the community actually benefit from
financially. While this end result won't change, the support policy in
#fedora must. I'm not one for mincing words or pretending everything is
"ok" when it clearly is not. I'm as likely to admit my own mistakes,
errors and frustrated or bad behavior as I am to point it out directly
and curtly in others. I also don't expect my ideas or opinions to be
blindly accepted or considered without thoughtful community input, but I
also don't expect to be wholesale ignored when my concerns are voiced
either, as has been the case in the past.

 The issues with Khaystus and just brushing it under the carpet and told
to "ignore it" is just simply not an option in my opinion, it's
irresponsible and shows a lack of leadership and responsibility all
around. It's childish and pointless to carry on an issue and refuse to
deal with it for years on end. Ignoring it won't make it go away or
change the behaviors which led to it in the first place. If I were a
normal user that never contributed my time or money, only complained and
never showed any signs of thoughtfulness or change, I could understand
simply ignoring me and moving on. Instead I'm insisting that the issues
be addressed in a reasonable and peaceful manner. This too seems to be
widely unaccepted in favor of just ignoring me instead and just keeping
things "business-as-usual". I'm not attacking anyone in particular, even
Khaystus, I *still* have nothing against him other than his seeming need
to hold on to whatever his grudge is with me and even more so by the
community of otherwise intelligent people that tolerate that behavior in
someone who is supposed to be a mediator. To me, it's akin to asking
someone who can't find a job to help you find one, it simply doesn't
make sense.

 I have a verified history in the Fedora community from my financial and
time support, howtos, and getting others involved that goes back to the
days of #redhat where |jef| (spoleeba) was a regular op. I also have a
history of frustrated and upset or abusive behavior in #fedora at times.
Frustrated because I do feel ignored and that things are not changing
and have not changed in this arena for some time. I don't think my
concerns are completely out in left field or unsubstantiated because I
have talked with other respected members who feel the same exact way.

 Ultimately, I love Fedora and Red Hat and I want to be a part of a
community that is self-responsible and teaches that behavior to others.
Some ways I see accomplishing this is in the areas of problem solving
techniques, research skills and best practices and methods so that, as a
group, we can all "teach a man to fish" so they may feel empowered to
contribute back to the community and feel supported in that effort while
maintaining a professional and helpful approach. This is something that
everyone can and should be taking back into their normal "real" lives.
In this vein of thinking I propose the following not-so-easy
undertakings to start the ball rolling:

1.. Full restructuring of the IRC help forum and a written clear policy
as to how this will be accomplished, including:
 a. Publicly accessible "channel behavior guidelines" which all must
read and follow, regardless of "status".
 b. Agreed central help resources, forums, FP.org wiki, and other tools
to present a more unified public support structure.
 c. Abuse/sanction policies

 I believe I have the desire, time, skills, etc to help in this area
which would put an abrupt halt to most frustrations felt on my part.
Having said all this, words are cheap and actions are what give us
something worth appreciating and feeling we're contributing towards
something worthwhile. That being said, I'll await to see if I'm once
again ignored or if these concerns are taken seriously this time.

Regards,

- -Warren (opsec/zodiac)

Below is my posting to the fedora-ops list about 1.5 years ago when
Evilbob had nominated me for ops in #fedora and I was asked to comment.
Since that time no one has successfully been added to the #fedora ops
list to the best of my knowledge, though not without several attempted
nominations of others being shot down as well.