[irc-support-sig] #79: Abusive behavior by operator

Chris Punches punches.chris at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 23:21:31 UTC 2011

This ticket really should be re-opened and the logs of the event posted.
 Several people making additions to the ticket were present, and I'm sure
there's no reason that none of them posted what happened ;)

Out of curiosity, when IS the last time an abuse ticket was closed in
judgment at fault of one of the 4 or 5 people that all these abuse tickets
seem to be directed at (such as this one)?  I'm sure it's happened and I'm
sure the ticket arbiter in those cases said that the behavior wasn't
sanctioned by Fedora community at large, but I just can't think of when
that would be.

It's not even a question as to whether this process is ineffective, but
more of a question as to what needs to change in the process to actually
deal with the abusive behaviors.  The option chosen was to ignore it in the
case of this ticket, and then again when I noticed it and pointed it out in
this thread.  Certainly not the first time.

It was inaccurately portrayed in this thread (for the purpose of creating
documentation) that this was an isolated (or even infrequent) event.

I shut down SILO, an organization offering 3rd party abuse mediation,
several months ago by request of a couple authority figures in this
community so that they could handle the problems (that they are aware of)
internally.  It doesn't seem to be getting handled internally, and there
doesn't seem to be a desire by people in their current positions to handle
them.  I mean you guys aren't even trying to give off that impression.

It is for that reason that I'm seriously considering restarting SILO in
full throttle at the absolute very next instance of unhandled abuse that I
witness (or is reported to me) and please be assured that if that happens
SILO will not be cooperating with requests similar to the one that
initially convinced me to let Fedora handle the problem internally.  It
will definitely be a dealbreaker if I see this again.

Please start handling this problem internally, with demonstrated actions
and sanctions, or I will be creating the mechanism by which that will be
done in the future without your input.

Most Assuredly,
Chris Punches