When to rebrand fedora?

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Fri Aug 1 07:50:34 UTC 2008

Paul W. Frields wrote:
>> On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 16:36 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>> Paul W. Frields wrote:
>>>>
>>> This part I'm not so sure of.  "Limited distribution" in an age of
>>> convenient bit-moving doesn't mean a whole lot.  Rather, we should be
>>> working on automation for rebranding that makes the whole operation easy
>>> for anyone that wants to do it -- so the requirement is less onerous.
>>>
>> Euh, right, "Limited distribution" is most definitely not the right
>> terminology, but I wouldn't want to force people (or ISVs for that
>> matter) that hand out Fedora media containing a demo or presentation, to
>> rebrand to the fullest because they add non-fedora content. Replacing
>> fedora-logos is reasonable, anything beyond makes them go to other
>> distributions to use or derive from.
>
> I think this *may* be fairly easy to solve in the Live image on USB
> case.  The part of the file system outside the Live image is completely
> outside of what we call Fedora.  Including presentation or demo material
> there doesn't affect the "Fedora-ness" of the Live image.  I would think
> that any claim it did would be a little strange, because that would
> affect anyone who uses a Live USB and decides to store some data in that
> external space.  This is just a preliminary thought.

Presentations, yes. Video demo's, yes. Placing a file on the desktop
though is just as trivially impacting Fedora (eg. none at all) as
placing it on the medium. Just a thought.

Now I want to demo a failover cluster with FooApp failing over nice and
clean. Or, I want to pull someone from the audience and boot his/her
laptop to join a cluster (again FooApp). These demo's will be given all
over Europe maybe, at events, private training sessions (where students
take the CD/USB key home for further practice?), and partners and
distributors.

Just to clarify, this is what I had meant by using the word "demo" ;-)

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip