ISV guide to the Summit

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Fri Jun 6 20:47:56 UTC 2008

To all of our partner friends:

We've received a lot of inquiries from our partners about packaging their
software in RPM format for use with Fedora.  With good reasons:

* Millions of Fedora users can install any RPM in the Fedora universe with
one simple command.

* RPM is the cornerstone of Linux systems management applications,
allowing sysadmins to manage a complete list of all software on their
systems, through many different tools.

* RPM is also the basis of much of the appliance work that Red Hat is
advancing.  Putting your software into RPM format makes it much simpler to
build Live CDs, network install images, or even virtual appliances around
your software solution.

Any open source software provider can package their work as an RPM for
Fedora. Getting software into Fedora is not as easy as it could be, but
it's not that difficult, either -- and we are committed to working with
our partners to make it as painless as possible.

At the Red Hat Summit / Fedora User and Developer conference, developers
have unprecedented access to the knowledge of the Red Hat and Fedora
communities. For those who are interested specifically in learning how to
make the best use of RPM and Fedora, we would like to recommend the
following sessions:

*  Topic:	Fedora images and live CDs.
    Presenter:	Jeremy Katz
    Time: 	Wednesday 6/18, 11:30am - 12:30pm
    Location:	Red Hat Summit Session Hall

*  Topic: 	How to make good RPM packages
    Presenter:	Tom Callaway
    Time:	Wednesday 6/18, 1:30pm - 2:30pm
    Location:	Red Hat Summit Session Hall

*  Topic: 	Building Appliances with the Red Hat Appliance OS
    Presenter:	Bryan Kearney
    Time:	Wednesday 6/18, 2:45pm - 3:45pm
    Location:	Red Hat Summit Session Hall

*  Topic:	Fedora packages for RHEL
    Presenter:	Karsten Wade
    Time:	Thursday 6/19, 2:45pm - 3:45pm
    Location:	Red Hat Summit Session Hall

*  Topic:	ISV Packaging Hackfest
    Presenter:	Various
    Time:	Thursday 6/19, 10am - 4pm
    Location:	Fedora Hackfest Area

*  Topic:	Java Packaging Hackfest
    Presenter:	Various
    Time:	Friday 6/20, 10am - 4pm
    Location:	Fedora Hackfest Area

Also, on Saturday 6/21, we will be holding the Fedora Users and Developers
Conference at Boston University, just minutes from the Hynes Convention Center.
FUDCons are the lifeblood of the Fedora community; every FUDCon draws the best
and the brightest of the Fedora community from all over the world.  We urge
Summit participants who are interested in learning more about Fedora to attend
this exceptional conference.  Learn more about FUDCon at:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon/FUDConF10

If you have any questions, please contact Greg DeKoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com>,
Paul Frields <pfrields at redhat.com> or Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com> for
more information.

We look forward to seeing you at the Summit, and at FUDCon.

--g