[fedora-java] Re: [JPackage-discuss] Why libswt3-gtk2 isn't split between lib and plugin? also multiple SWTs and GCJ binaries

Fernando Lozano fernando at lozano.eti.br
Mon Apr 11 03:58:46 UTC 2005

Hi,

I think the message was't about the best Java GUI toolkit, but on how to
package SWT and apps that depend on them. Nothing prevents the packaging
of Java-Gnome and apps that depends on it, and it was done at least by
Fedora.

If everyone would package just the "best" app/library for each category,
How would sendmail/postfix and Gnome/KDE users feel?

But if you don't mind having your app running on Linux only (actually on
BSD and other Unixes) Java-Gnome would be a better toolkit. Go see their
websites and mailing list archives for specific reaons. :-) Actually,
using Java-Gnome is not Unix-only, just nobody did the port for Windows.
GTK itself and many apps, like Gimp and Ethereal, run fine under Windows
using the GTK port.

[]s, Fernando Lozano