[fedora-java] Should java-1.4.2-gcj-compat require xerces-j2?

David Walluck david at zarb.org
Wed Aug 3 18:15:01 UTC 2005

Andrew Overholt <overholt at redhat.com> wrote:

> * Ian Pilcher <i.pilcher at comcast.net> [2005-08-03 13:13]:
>> java-1.4.2-gcj-compat provides jaxp_parser_impl, but it doesn't require
>> xerces-j2, which seems to actually provide the functionality.
>
> I think gnuxml (or gnujaxp or whatever it's called) provides the
> functionality in libgcj.  I could be wrong, though.

The java-1.4.2-gcj-compat rpm more-or-less ``correctly'' provides
jaxp_parser_impl since the necessary classes are in rt.jar, so xerces-j2 isn't
needed. However, in practice whenever I tried to build or run packages
with the
GNU jaxp or transform implementations, it would fail.

Installing xerces-j2 fixes the problem since it has a higher alternatives
priority, but since xerces-j2 is not explictly required we do end up with
inconsistent build environments where one cannot be sure which jar was
actually
used to build a package (but I assume most, if not all, use xerces-j2).

In short, the java-1.4.2-gcj-compat does what it's supposed to, but I don't
think that the classes are actually compatible based on experience.

--
Sincerely,

David Walluck
<david at zarb.org>