[fedora-java] why the []'s around the symlink names in /var/lib/tomcat5/common/lib?

John M. Gabriele john_sips_tea at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 9 01:49:35 UTC 2005

I'm going to get my "hello world" servlet running
tonight in FC4, and was about to build my .java file
into a .class file so it can go in
/var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/my_test_area/WEB-INF/classes
and started to type:
gcj -C --classpath=/var/lib/tomcat5/common/lib/...
when I noticed that all the jars in that directory
have square brackets in the names.

Why are they named that way? I've never come across
that anywhere else, and it seems odd given that you
need to backslash-escape the []'s on the command line.

Thanks.
---John