[fedora-java] su to tomcat user?

John M. Gabriele john_sips_tea at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 9 15:49:35 UTC 2005

--- Phil Shaw <phil at mkdoc.com> wrote:

> On 8 Aug 2005, at 19:04, John M. Gabriele wrote:
>
> > As usual, I'm writing out my notes and leaving
> > them lying around in case they might be useful for
> > someone else:
> > http://www.simisen.com/jmg/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.SimpleServlet
>
> John,
>
> Thanks for this.

My pleasure. :)

> Looks like you're using a straight out of the box
> installation of Tomcat and deploying the application file set
> manually, yes?

Yup.

> Have you tried deploying applications from WAR?

Nope.

> Tried web app
> directories outside the Tomcat directory?

Nope.

> Any special configuration
> advice?

None yet. I'm still pretty new at this.

Where I work, we're using Mac OS X for development, and
the deploying on Debian systems that use the official
jakarta releases of Tomcat (rather than Debian .debs).

On my local system, I've got tomcat installed right in
my ~/opt. On the Debian systems, there's a "tomcat" or
"tomcat5" user, and we work as that user whenever dealing
with any of the webapps.

Regardless, all webapps are always right there in the
/path/to/tomcat/webapps.

We don't deploy .war files. We use an ant task to build
the .war's, but then:

- shutdown tomcat,
- copy the .war file to our webapps folder,
- unzip them in-place,
- delete the .war file, then
- restart tomcat.

> I'm planning to upgrade to FC4 soon, just lurking for tips on Tomcat
> use. Anything you can share would be most welcome.

Any useful info I get here will go into my little help
doc. This is a helpful bunch here, so hopefully we'll
get some more good tips. :)

---John