[fedora-java] Starting Tomcat

Gary Benson gbenson at redhat.com
Tue Aug 23 10:38:17 UTC 2005

Charles Curley wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 12:07:04PM +0100, Gary Benson wrote:
> > Charles Curley wrote:
> > > error: could not find jta Java extension for this JVM
> >
> > This is rawhide tomcat5 I'm guessing.  It'll get fixed the next
> > time I rebuild the tomcat5 rpm.  It doesn't matter if you're
> > using libgcj.
>
> Nope, it's what shipped with FC4. tomcat5-5.0.30-5jpp_6fc.

Very odd.  Are you using the rawhide java-1.4.2-gcj-compat?
What does "rpm -q java-1.4.2-gcj-compat" say on your box?

> > > I notice that /var/lib/tomcat5/common/lib/[jta].jar ->
> > > /could/not/find/extension/for/this/jvm, which is a cute way
> > > of telling me that the symlink is broken. OK, what should
> > > this link point to?
> >
> > /usr/share/java/jta.jar
> >
> > You need to install the latest geronimo-specs-compat to get it.
>
> Odd that a package that shipped w/ FC4 is dependent on a package
> that didn't.

It shouldn't.  In FC4 (and rawhide until recently) jta was provided by
java-1.4.2-gcj-compat.  A couple of weeks ago it was changed to come
from geronimo-specs-compat, to make switching JVMs work properly.

> Pulled in & installed those two. "service tomcat5 start" now
> works. Looks like the manager is home at
> http://taltos.localdomain:8080/manager/html.

Cool.

> At http://taltos.localdomain:8080 I get a white screen of death,
> which makes sense as there is nothing in $CATALINA_HOME except
> the balancer directory.

Sounds like you don't have tomcat5-webapps installed...

> > > I have installed Sun's jvm via the jpackage proceedure.
> >
> > You didn't need to ;)
> >
> > > Do I need Sun's jdk in order to develop servlets?
> >
> > No, you can do it with gcj.
>
> Cool. I took it out.

Nice work ;)

Gary