[fedora-java] Netbeans 5.0-beta2 , Sun Application Server 8.1 and Java-gcj

Fernando Lozano fernando at lozano.eti.br
Wed Dec 21 03:19:33 UTC 2005

Hi John,

You won't, because the GCJ packages included with Fedora is not yet a
fully-compliant Java2 implementation. Most Swing applications won't work
at all. I don't know if Sun AS 8.1 would work with GCJ but I'd guess it
won't. Anyway Sun software expects to find a Sun Java SDK, not a
GCJ-based one, and so their install scripts and startup scripts won't
work without some tweaking.

Tomcat should work fine with GCJ (but not without some configuration
hacking) and JonAS seem to work for EJB support.

[]s, Fernando Lozano