[fedora-java] Re: Devel Digest, Vol 12, Issue 6

Soumyadip Modak soumyadip at randomink.org
Sat Jul 9 03:15:30 UTC 2005

Martin Kauss <bishoph at open-xchange.org> wrote
>  Hi,
>
>  the configure just checks the system dependencies to build the
>  system. The needed libraries are not checked until the compile
>  process, JFYI.
>
>  The questions was asked some month ago for a Debian package as well.
>  I tried to build Open-Xchange some time ago with GNU Classpath, but
>  specially for mail, necessary methods and functions are just missing.

So what I understand is this: (Correct me if I'm wrong)
1. Problems with servlets are solvable with free Java tools, and these
are not major showstoppers
2. Base64 and Parserdelegator problems need some work
3. Main problem is that the free Javamail does not implement some
methods that are needed by OX.

Is it possible for the OX developers to work with the Classpath
developers to resolve these problems ? As far as I can understand there
is no major bottleneck other than some missing functionality, and I'm
sure that the Classpath people would love to have people collaborating
with them. :)

>  We are just providing a collaboration framework and that is our
>  focus. This means, if the functionality is covered by any other
>  package than Sun's Javamail package one can build OX with this
>  packages.
 >
>  Currently - AFAIK - this is not possible.
>
>  The other question is what you mean with "extensive free Java tools"
>  ... for some ppl. also packages offered by Sun/IBM/Bea are "free" ...

I generally refer to the Debian Free Software Guidelines for my
definition of Free software :)

http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

Thanks a lot
--