[fedora-java] Re: [OX Devel] Re: Devel Digest, Vol 12, Issue 6

Martin Kauss bishoph at open-xchange.org
Sat Jul 9 06:32:14 UTC 2005

On Jul 09, 2005 05:15 AM, Soumyadip Modak <soumyadip at randomink.org> wrote:

> Martin Kauss <bishoph at open-xchange.org> wrote
> >  Hi,
> >
> >  the configure just checks the system dependencies to build the
> >  system. The needed libraries are not checked until the compile
> >  process, JFYI.
> >
> >  The questions was asked some month ago for a Debian package as well.
> >  I tried to build Open-Xchange some time ago with GNU Classpath, but
> >  specially for mail, necessary methods and functions are just missing.
>
> So what I understand is this: (Correct me if I'm wrong)
> 1. Problems with servlets are solvable with free Java tools, and these
> are not major showstoppers

I am not aware of any servlet issues at all, tomcat for example
should provide all necessary libraries.

> 2. Base64 and Parserdelegator problems need some work

Specially the ParserDelegator class should be part of a
JDK since Java 1.2 as far as i can remember, see

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/javax/swing/text/html/parser/ParserDelegator.html
and
http://developer.classpath.org/doc/javax/swing/text/html/parser/ParserDelegator-source.html

> 3. Main problem is that the free Javamail does not implement some
> methods that are needed by OX.

Correct.

> Is it possible for the OX developers to work with the Classpath
> developers to resolve these problems ? As far as I can understand there
> is no major bottleneck other than some missing functionality, and I'm
> sure that the Classpath people would love to have people collaborating
> with them. :)

Not sure what you mean with "to work ... to resolve these problems",
but in general the answer is yes.

Finally i would like to mention that Sun do a great Job for Javamail
with the mail protocol support and with the supported mail servers
and IMHO it will not be easy to get to the same functionality.

> >  We are just providing a collaboration framework and that is our
> >  focus. This means, if the functionality is covered by any other
> >  package than Sun's Javamail package one can build OX with this
> >  packages.
>  >
> >  Currently - AFAIK - this is not possible.
> >
> >  The other question is what you mean with "extensive free Java tools"
> >  ... for some ppl. also packages offered by Sun/IBM/Bea are "free" ...
>
> I generally refer to the Debian Free Software Guidelines for my
> definition of Free software :)
> http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines
>
> Thanks a lot
> --