[fedora-java] FC4 Tomcat & Jakarta Hell

C.F. Scheidecker Antunes nando at antunes.eti.br
Fri Jul 15 00:44:52 UTC 2005

Hello All,

FC4 comes with Tomcat5 and Jakarta stuff such as struts, commons, etc.
However FC4 does not come with a SUN JVM and I usually install my own in
place of the currently one. I also install my own Tomcat and Jakarta
stuff so that I can have the latest. I've also noticed that there is a
service created to run Tomcat5 as well. Tomcat5 runs with a user tomcat
which seems great as it not acceptable to run it as root.
However it is an older version, it is organized spreaded into separate
and various rpm packages which is not productive as well as not
scalable. Struts is even version 1.1.

Hence what I need is to install my own stuff. What do you recommend
regarding this issue?

Shall I remove the entire FC4 stuff or keep it and install my
Tomcat/Jakarta/Struts/JVM and then change the service to reflect on my
installation?

In this case I assume I will have to change the privileges of the tomcat
user and group and also make my root directory and its subdirectories
reflect those privileges.

Any suggestions or docs on Tomcat for FC4?

Does anyone use Tomcat/struts/Commons with FC4?

Thanks in advance,
C.F.