[fedora-java] FC4 Tomcat & Jakarta Hell

David Walluck david at zarb.org
Fri Jul 15 12:46:03 UTC 2005

"C.F. Scheidecker Antunes" <nando at antunes.eti.br> wrote:

> FC4 comes with Tomcat5 and Jakarta stuff such as struts, commons, etc.
> However FC4 does not come with a SUN JVM and I usually install my own in
> place of the currently one. I also install my own Tomcat and Jakarta

You don't normally have to do the installs yourself. That's what the rpms are
for. Also, tomcat 5.0.30 *is* the latest version of 5.0.x. Maybe you are
talking about 5.5.x?

> However it is an older version, it is organized spreaded into separate
> and various rpm packages which is not productive as well as not
> scalable. Struts is even version 1.1.

I have no idea what you mean by the first part, but I don't think it is
correct.
As for struts, if I remember correctly, version 1.1.x is used because
the newer
version of struts does not work on a free stack. If you want the latest
version, you'll have to use the Sun jdk right now.

> Hence what I need is to install my own stuff. What do you recommend
> regarding this issue?

You can install the JPackage <http://jpackage.org> versions of tomcat5
which are
compatible with FC4. JPackage also provides an rpm of the Sun jdk (but
you will
have to rebuild the rpm yourself, due to licensing restrictions).

The JPackage version of tomcat 5.0.30 uses the struts 1.2.4. I see that struts
1.2.7 is the latest, but at least here you will get the 1.2.x series
instead of
1.1.x. Finally, in the JPackage devel section on the you will find
tomcat 5.5.7,
but I see that tomcat 5.5.9 is the latest.

You may want to subscribe to the jpackage-discuss mailing list and ask
if struts
1.2.7  and tomcat 5.5.9 packages can be made. They will probably be rolled out
fairly quickly, in which case you can then have the latest and greatest
versions in rpm form, complete with dedicated user and startup scripts.

--
Sincerely,

David Walluck
<david at zarb.org>