[fedora-java] Re: jpackage.org and FC4

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Mon Jul 25 12:18:22 UTC 2005

Robin Green writes:
 > On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:42:33 -0700, John M. Gabriele wrote:
 > > Why would I install Java from jpackage.org when it already comes with
 > > FC4 and works right OOTB?
 >
 > Because gcj (the GNU compiler for Java), which is the only implementation
 > of Java that comes with FC4, is not yet fully implemented. Most
 > importantly, it does not fully implement either AWT or Swing - the
 > graphical user interface systems which most graphical Java applications
 > use.

It's not just that.  Just as significant is that fact that a lot of
applications depend on the internal details of a particular
implementation.  In theory applications written in the Java language
are portable, but in practice it often doesn't work out that way.

Oh, and gcj has a different set of bugs from other implementations.
I'd better mention that too...

Andrew.