[fedora-java] jpackage.org and FC4

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Jul 26 15:24:24 UTC 2005

On Mar 26 juillet 2005 17:06, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> On Mar 26 juillet 2005 16:26, John M. Gabriele wrote:
>> --- Nicolas Mailhot <Nicolas.Mailhot at laPoste.net> wrote:
>>
>>> FC = Fedora Core
>>> FE = Fedora Extras
>>> JPP = JPackage
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nicolas Mailhot
>>>

>> I was asking about that 2nd 'P':
>> JPP == Java Package Project
>
> The "official" name is the JPackage Project

(using the J* word would have led to interesting legal consequences)

As for why this and not something else - frankly the team is small enough
we have better things to do than argue on naming.

In fact team size is our biggest constraint. This is why we do not do
package derivatives tailored to a particular distribution. All the
attempts to do this in the past have failed because frankly it's much less
ressource-intensive to just use as-is packages made under other
distributions than personalise them and rebuild the whole repository. We
strive for the good-enough not the perfect. If someday we have the
manpower of Mandrake club, Fedora Extras (or any project where the number
of active packagers at any given point of time is in the two-digit range
or more) this may change. Right now we have LSBish practical rules to
ensure vanilla packages build/run everywhere.

--
Nicolas Mailhot