[fedora-java] Java on Fedora faq

Gary Benson gbenson at redhat.com
Tue Jul 26 16:20:51 UTC 2005

John M. Gabriele wrote:
> --- Gary Benson <gbenson at redhat.com> wrote:
> > John M. Gabriele wrote:
> > > It's starting to come along. :)
> > >
> > > http://www.simisen.com/jmg/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.JavaOnFedora
> > >
> > > Comments?
> >
> > Firstly that the company I work for is called "Red Hat" :)
> > That's two words, both capitalized.
>
> Red Hat is mis-written on the 'Net about as often as "separate" is
> misspelled there. :)

Heh ;)

> > Also that the Java runtime we ship is "libgcj" and the Java
> > compiler we use is called "ecj".
>
> Thanks. I'll look at the man page when I get home (no FC here at
> work).  I always thought that the "gcj" program was the front-end to
> the "gcc" program...

gcj is a gcc front-end, and while it can compile to bytecode it's not
very good at it.  In Fedora we use ecj, Eclipse's compiler, to compile
to bytecode.  We use gcj (indirectly, via aot-compile-rpm) to compile
that bytecode into native code.

> Which *are* the Classpath packages?

There are none.  Classpath's class library exists within libgcj's rpm.

Cheers,
Gary