[fedora-java] Replacing FC4 Free Java for SUN's Java

C.F. Scheidecker Antunes nando at antunes.eti.br
Tue Jul 26 18:44:00 UTC 2005

Hello All,

FC4 is interesting because it comes with java and all pre installed.
However I need to replace all of that and have SUN's instead.
Until FC3 I did everything myself manually by:

1 - Installing JDK under /opt/ and creating an /opt/java/ link
2 - creating links under /usr/bin/  for java and javac
3 - changing /etc/profile to include /opt/java/ on the path and create a
classpath

All Java stuff I've put under /opt/

That way I had total control.

Now, FC4 has java stuff all over and config stuff all over.

Rather than learning what it is (although I had not found documentation
that explains all the details) I prefer to remove everything and do it
the good old manual way.

I've also tried jpackage but I did not like it. Again, no control and
non-free is not as easy to install.

Any good docs or comments on this?

Anyone suffering from the same aggravations?

Thanks,

C.F.