[fedora-java] Re: Java on Fedora faq

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Wed Jul 27 03:47:54 UTC 2005

* Robin Green <greenrd at presidium.org> [2005-07-26 18:11]:
> >Sun's Java and GNU Java should be able to coexist on the same system, but
> >I wouldn't know how to get that configuration working.
>
> Sun's Java and GCJ are, of course, able to coexist on the same system. Follow
> this simple five step guide to get the recommend setup:
>
> 1. Download a Sun JDK (not a JRE!) from
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp - and make sure you choose the
> "Linux RPM in self-extracting file" option.

Sorry to sound like a jerk pointing this out again, but the Sun RPMs are
*NOT* recommended as they can be removed with an update to our stuff (I
believe it's a problem with xml Provides but I can't recall at the moment).

> Eclipse has a visual editor component like other IDEs, called VE (Visual
> Editor), but it isn't shipped in Fedora yet. You can download it from
> eclipse.org and unzip it (as root) into /usr/share/eclipse - the eclipse
> updating mechanism doesn't work, so it's best to install it manually like

I installed VE yesterday using our RPMs and the update manager.  I had to
install some extra packages (ie. eveything up to and including
eclipse-pde-devel .. yum will bring in everything if you specify that ...
hmm, maybe not eclipse-rcp-devel?) but once I had them installed, I got no
errors (I think it will work even if you get "missing .../feature.xml"
errors).  Now, as for actually *using* VE ... well, it didn't work :)
There seemed to be some issue with it spawning another VM.  If someone
wants to take charge and become the Fedora VE person, I'll do my best to
help them.

> Consider carefully the appropriate bug database to use. Firstly, can you
> [...]

This information would be great to have here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugsReports

> > How do I create a Java project in Eclipse on Fedora?
>
> Easy. [...]

Great write-up, Robin!  Can you please add some of your comments and such
to the Fedora wiki Java and/or Eclipse pages (I have the URL as the topic
for #fedora-java)?

> > How do I use Tomcat?
>
> Very briefly: "service tomcat4 start" or "service tomcat5 start" will
> start tomcat.  (Can you guess how to stop it?) Then use "rpm -ql
> tomcat5|less" to explore the directory structure of Tomcat on Fedora. The
> main thing you need to know is that you put your webapps under
> /var/lib/tomcat{4,5}/webapps.

Take a look at the various tomcat5 sub-packages as well
(tomcat5-webapps-admin, I believe, is one of them).  Often times people
will have Tomcat installed and working fine but not see anything on
localhost:8080 (or wherever) because they don't have the admin webapp
installed.

Andrew