[fedora-java] Re: Replacing FC4 Free Java with SUN's Java

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Jul 27 13:16:06 UTC 2005

On Mer 27 juillet 2005 14:59, David Walluck wrote:

> Just because two packages provide the same thing, the other should not
> disappear. What exactly is the problem (is it specific to yum)?

The problem is only with the compat- package

The sun rpm declares it provides xml-commons but does not put a symlink to
it in the right place so all the scripts that do a
build-classpath xml-commons
fail when yum removes the external xml-commons during the upgrade.

And anyway even if Sun rpm did put a symlink in the right place it would
only work with Sun JVM. Sadly rpm limitations mean we can make sure
everything works when a single JVM is installed, but any parallel JVM
install will need hand-holding at some time. If we had two stacks with

A, B, C, D

and

A', B', C', D'

components with one component per package and all possible combos working
all would be yummy. But what we have is

A, B, CD

and

A'B', C', D'

so things are a lot more interesting. This BTW directly stems from SUN's
habit of moving API's in-jvm and generally merging components at every
other release.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot