[fedora-java] Problems bootstrapping java-1.4.2-gcj4.0-compat build

Thomas Fitzsimmons fitzsim at redhat.com
Thu May 5 03:49:16 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 23:44 -0400, Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 23:11 -0400, Ben Konrath wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-04-05 at 22:55 -0400, Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:
> > > In the meantime it would be very useful to create a pure bytecode
> > > eclipse-ecj package, buildable by gcj -C, for distribution by
> > > jpackage.org.  I wanted to do this when I first submitted java-gcj-
> > > compat to JPackage but I never got around to it.  All the logic will be
> > > in the Rawhide Eclipse spec file, since we bootstrap ecj using gcj -C.
> >
> > IIRC, some JDT developers were talking about releasing ECJ as an
> > official download:
> >
> > http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/jdt-core-dev/msg01166.html
> >
> > Would this make providing an ECJ package a easier? If so it might be
> > worth commenting on that post.
> >

> Yes, a separate ecj is a great idea.

Hmm, on second thought, it depends how they're doing this.  The archives
you've linked to require a username and password, so I can't see the
post.

We only want one copy of ecj installed on the system.  So if they're
proposing splitting out ecj from the rest of eclipse then that would be
very useful.  (It would likely also solve their known-good compiler vs.
proper bootstrapping issues).  But if they're just making ecj available
separately as well as with eclipse itself then it's not that useful to
us, since we'll always want to be using the in-eclipse ecj.  In that
case we'd just stick with how we're packaging eclipse currently.

Tom