[fedora-java] Re: Thoughts on JPackage, Fedora Core, gcj, etc.

Ian Pilcher i.pilcher at comcast.net
Thu Nov 10 15:46:02 UTC 2005

Anthony Green wrote:

> I'm kind of clueless in this area.  Can you give an example of how these
> tags would be used?

The idea is to enable system administrators to define policies for
JPackage/Fedora Core co-existence.  For example, one administrator may
prefer to always have the latest version of the underlying package;
another may prefer to always have the gcj version, if available.
There's currently no way for yum, or similar tools, to distinguish gcj
packages from non-gcj packages.

This would only be a first step, but I think it's a necessary step.

Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher at comcast.net