[fedora-java] eclipse wtp + tomcat5 couldn't work

Aaron Luchko aluchko at redhat.com
Sat Sep 24 14:55:33 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-24 at 14:54 +0800, Sagi Ye wrote:
> I don't know what u mean by "upstream".
> The version of tomcat i use is 5.0.30-5jpp_6fc.
> Isn't this the newest version in the fedora's official yum repo.?

Sorry, upstream means the original source of the software, in this case
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/downloads/downloads_tomcat-5.cgi
download
http://apache.sunsite.ualberta.ca/jakarta/tomcat-5/v5.0.30/bin/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.30.tar.gz
than 'tar -zxf jakarta-tomcat-5.0.30.tar.gz' to expand it
now you'll have a directory jakarta-tomcat/ try adding this as your
server in the same way you did with /usr/share/tomcat5

> BTW, my eclipse is "Native Eclipse 3.1M6".

The old version of eclipse in FC4 might cause trouble but I suspect not
since they'd already done the API freeze for M6 so plugins shouldn't
have trouble.

> I just found there is no "startup.sh, shutdown.sh, tomcat.sh" in
> "/usr/share/tomcat5/bin/", but only a "bootstrap.jar". And there
> do has a "/usr/bin/tomcat5" script which can be used to start/stop
> tomcat. Could this be the problem?

Unfortunately I don't know that much about tomcat or how it's packaged
for FC4. If the upstream tomcat works with wtp my suspicion would be
culprit is the way it's packaged and the location of files, if this is
the case someone more familiar with tomcat may be able to shed light on
the issue and find a way to trick wtp into using the rpm installed
tomcat.

Aaron