[fedora-java] Oh Poo. JPackages has too many depenency problems and it's been over a week!

Weiqi Gao weiqigao at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 03:33:32 UTC 2006

On 4/9/06, Dan Thurman <dant at cdkkt.com> wrote:

> I have enabled Jpackage generic repo, ran it, it fails with
> dependency errors, disabled it again, over and over for over
> a week and the damn thing still does not work at all.  Heck,
> the Jpackage FC repo does not even exists.

Back in the FC3 days, I was able to get all of JPackage installed on
my machine (except for NetBeans and Maven) by not installing the Java
packages from FC3 and following the instructions on JPackage.org's web
site.  I have to use two yum repositories from JPackage.org:
[jpackage16-generic] and [jpackage16-fc3].  The hardest part is to
hand install all the dependent non-free rpms.  I have a couple of
write ups here:

http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/2004/11/23/an_introduction_to_jpackage_org.html

http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/2004/12/05/what_jpackage_org_brought_to_my_computer.html

Starting with FC4, and now FC5, I simply installed the Java packages
from the distribution and never got around to use JPackage.org again.

> What's the point of using JPackages if I cannot use it to update
> Java components I need and want?

My understanding is that to use JPackage.org's rpms, you have to use
both the generic repository and a platform specific repository.  I
just browsed over there, and saw repos for fc1 through fc4.  So I
guess for the moment, if you are on FC5, you are out of luck.  If you
are on FC1 through FC4, you should be able to make use of
JPackage.org.

The FC5 release notes also warns about potential problems if you mix
FC5's Java packages and JPackages.org's Java packages.  So be careful.

> Can anyone tell me what is going on and why this mailing list is
> one of the slowest crawling slugs I have seen - ever - ?????

The list is alive.  I see posts from time to time.

> Did Java interest die here or what?

Not from my side.

--
Weiqi Gao (高为奇)