[fedora-java] Oh Poo. JPackages has too many depenency problems and it's been over a week!

Joshua Daniel Franklin jdf.lists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 17:40:12 UTC 2006

On 4/10/06, Anthony Green <green % redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 11:47 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
> > What's the point of using JPackages if I cannot use it to update
> > Java components I need and want?
>
> I don't know.  We don't recommend using the JPackages repos directly.

This is of some concern to me also. We mostly use RHEL (FC for a little
testing) so it won't trickle down until RHEL5, but my understanding was
that Red Hat was adopting JPackage as the model for Java packages
in Fedora Core and Red Hat Enterprise. The official FC5 rpms even
have "jpp" in their names, for example ant-1.6.5-1jpp_7fc.i386.rpm .
Now, I understand that the "fc" also means that gjc-specific stuff is in
the rpm, but one advantage of JPackage is that you can easily switch
JVMs.

Are you saying that with Red Hat is going to maintain a set of separate
packages and if you ever want any JPackages beyond that set you
shouldn't be using RHEL or Fedora Core?

Dan: I don't know if you saw my earlier email, but you probably
just need to build your own stax-bea since it's non-free.