[JPackage-discuss] [fedora-java] Oh Poo. JPackages has too many depenency problems and it's been over a week!

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Mon Apr 10 17:54:11 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 10:40 -0700, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
> On 4/10/06, Anthony Green <green % redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 11:47 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
> > > What's the point of using JPackages if I cannot use it to update
> > > Java components I need and want?
> >
> > I don't know.  We don't recommend using the JPackages repos directly.
>
> This is of some concern to me also. We mostly use RHEL (FC for a little
> testing) so it won't trickle down until RHEL5, but my understanding was
> that Red Hat was adopting JPackage as the model for Java packages
> in Fedora Core and Red Hat Enterprise. The official FC5 rpms even
> have "jpp" in their names, for example ant-1.6.5-1jpp_7fc.i386.rpm .
> Now, I understand that the "fc" also means that gjc-specific stuff is in
> the rpm, but one advantage of JPackage is that you can easily switch
> JVMs.
>
> Are you saying that with Red Hat is going to maintain a set of separate
> packages and if you ever want any JPackages beyond that set you
> shouldn't be using RHEL or Fedora Core?
>
> Dan: I don't know if you saw my earlier email, but you probably
> just need to build your own stax-bea since it's non-free.

I don't care about 'stax-bea'!  This was added on later.  I
added this to the --exclude list and then there was another
dependency.  Add that, then another and the list seems long
and I gave up after the 5th try because it was expanding into
a hive of dependencies!

So - in a nutshell...  I cannot proceed with the simplest
updates!  Again, you cannot enable fpackage-fc because it
does not exists.  Someone wrote that its there for fc1-fc4
but you are out of luck for fc5.  So - I disabled that and
tried [generic] and now disabled that.  So - no updates are
possible for me at this time.

Kind regards,
Dan