[fedora-java] Hello and SVN subclipse plugin

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Thu Apr 27 12:51:32 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 02:15 -0400, Ben Konrath wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> I sat down on Friday to fix up the pluginbuilder stuff, but I ended up
> not liking that solution too much. One of the biggest problems is that
> it's difficult to display build information during the compilation
> because Eclipse does the build file generation and the building
> internally. Obviously displaying this information is important for rpm
> builds - if there were a problem, there would be no way to figure out
> what was going on. I could have hacked this in, but I found a different
> way to do things which is better because we won't have to maintain the
> pluginbuilder plugin.
>
> What I did was create a generic releng plugin that features/plugins can
> use to hide the details of the Eclipse releng process. The source
> archive should be a tarred up eclipse project checked directly out of
> cvs or svn. The source archive could also be a tar.gz or zip exported by
> eclipse at the same time the features/plugins are exported as a
> deployable plugin or feature. I'm going to write a little doc that
> explains how to do this so that we can get upstream people to do this in
> the future. One of the subclipse developers saw my previous post and
> said he would be interested in helping out.

Nice..

> I updated the subclipse and svn-client-adapter rpms that you posted and
> and changed a few things:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/bkonrath/eclipse/
>
> I may have been a little aggressive with the changes, so feel free to
> slap me if you don't like anything or if anything is incorrect :)

no slap for you... the changes are for a better spec file

> As far as the actual compilation goes, all you have to do is this:
>
> java -cp %{eclipse_base}/startup.jar \
>      -Duser.home=$homedir                              \
>      org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main                    \
>      -application org.eclipse.ant.core.antRunner       \
>      -Dtype=feature                                    \
>      -Did=org.tigris.subversion.subclipse              \
>      -DbaseLocation=%{eclipse_base}                    \
>      -Dbuilder=%{_builddir}/package-build              \
>      -DsourceDirectory=$(pwd)                          \
>      -f %{eclipse_base}/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build_3.1.2/scripts/build.xml
>
> Just set the type and id, everything else is just template. There's
> other templated stuff in there, but I think it's relatively straight
> forward.
>
> It's unfortunate that subclipse is a little complicated because it makes
> things look more confusing than they are. Given a source tarball and a
> feature id, it's possible to generate a template for these spec files.
> I'll probably whip something up when I have some time.
>
> To test this build method, I packaged up PHPeclipse in about 40mins.
> Most of the time was spent figuring out how to check out the correct
> version of the source. Now that's not say things are perfect, but I
> think this method is the best way to proceed. I'm sure there will be
> some problems with other plugins, but the pde.build process is very
> flexible so I think we'll be able to sort out any problems that arise.
>
> As far the 'SVNClient class not found problem' goes, I noticed that this
> only happens when the subversion-javahl rpm is installed. Maybe we can
> mark the subversion-javahl rpm as a conflicting package for now and
> carry on with getting this into extras. I think subclipse can work
> without the javahl jar so we should be ok. If you could file a bug about
> this in the redhat bugzilla, that would be great.

ummm interesting, when subversion-javahl is not installed
SVNClientAdapter reverts to use the JavaSVN version. I think that a
little patch to disable and remove the svnjavahl.jar jar file insode the
plugin can do the trick too

> Robert, once we put the generic releng scripts in the SDK rpm, would you
> be interested in being the subclipse rpm maintainer?

Sure... I will try this changes, complete the TODOs and then submit it
to extras

> If anybody has any questions or comments about what's going on with
> packaging plugins I would be glad to hear them.
>
> Cheers, Ben

Robert Marcano
マルカノ・ロバート。日本語の学生。

web: http://www.marcanoonline.com/
gpg --keyserver hkp://pgp.mit.edu/ --recv-key 72A0DCFD