[fedora-java] F7 plan (gcj/java/eclipse/swt/java-gnome/fop/batik/etc)

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Fri Dec 29 20:09:32 UTC 2006

>>>>> "Mark" == Mark Wielaard <mark at klomp.org> writes:

Mark> - January 23 - Test1 Development Freeze

Ok...

Mark> - 1.5 language & library support in gcj
Mark>   This seems to be the biggest and most intrusive upgrade. But starting
Mark>   this early seems like a very good idea. Upstream is cleaning up some
Mark>   last issues. And it needs lots of testing. Would be good if something
Mark>   can be cooked up for Test1. Needs help from gcc-toolchain people.

Yeah... do we know what base compiler is being used for FC7?
We'll probably have to back-port all the 1.5 stuff to that.
Kinda tough before the 23rd considering that we haven't merged it all
to GCC mainline yet :(

Mark> - Separate libgcj-rpm.

This is suspended pending the core/extras merge.

Mark> - java-gcj-compat
Mark>   (Do we also need updates for javap and javah replacements?)

We don't have javap at all, do we?  But we do have jcf-dump, which has
not changed during all the 1.5 work.

The new javah that is in Classpath will show up when we merge the
gcj-eclipse branch to trunk.

Mark>   Maybe some work can be done to support the JDWP work in libgcj to
Mark>   get a little debugging going?

Whatever is on the branch, we'll ship.  I don't know what will work or
not before the release, we'll have to ask Keith.

Mark> - OpenJDK
Mark>   Still lots missing. Hopefully at Fosdem we will learn a bit more about
Mark>   the encumberments and when which parts of the core libraries will be
Mark>   liberated fully. But it might be nice to see if javac could be
Mark>   packaged.

javac builds fine against classpath (as you know).  I'm not sure if
all the needed bits are in libgcj yet, but this is simple to fix if not.

Tom