[fedora-java] line numbers

Bryce McKinlay mckinlay at redhat.com
Thu Jun 8 16:13:34 UTC 2006

Andrew Haley wrote:
> Anthony Green writes:
>  > Now that we have a new libgcj in FC-5, azureus logging seems to be
>  > working.  I've been comparing log files between Sun JRE and gcj runs,
>  > and have filed 1 GNU Classpath bug so far.
>  >
>  > One thing that is annoying is that I'm not getting line numbers in the
>  > azureus debug output.  Azureus' calls to
>  > StackTraceElement.getLineNumber() always result in -1.  I have the
>  > azureus debug RPM installed, and just assumed that this would be enough
>  > to get line number info.  Maybe I'm misremembering all this.  Should
>  > StackTraceElement.getLineNumber() return good info for bc-compiled code?
>
> Yes, it should.  However, StackTraceElement.getLineNumber() doesn't
> work with separate debuginfo.

We could also solve this by having the Java RPMs strip the rest of the
debug info, but NOT the .debug_line section. .debug_line is quite
compact compared to the rest of the debug info: it adds less than 1MB to
libgcj.so. Is this extra size worth it to always have stack trace line
numbers?

We would want to make sure that we have a fast line number lookup before
doing that, though. Currently, line number lookups have a big negative
performance impact on certain applications that log stack traces frequently.

Bryce