[fedora-java] decoupling libgcj from gcc.src.rpm

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Mon Jun 12 14:46:59 UTC 2006

>>>>> "Anthony" == Anthony Green <green at redhat.com> writes:

Anthony> I know people have talked about separating libgcj from gcc in
Anthony> the past.

Yeah, it is a good idea.  I'm sorry for not backing Tom F. when he
brought it up internally.

I thought that we'd have problems with the C++ ABI, but it occurs to
me now that splitting the RPMs and breaking the ABI are different
issues.  There's no reason to assume that they are related.

Anthony> I think this will be particularly important if we manage to
Anthony> get something like gcjwebplugin with the new whitelist
Anthony> feature into FC6. We may want to push out GUI and security
Anthony> updates on a much more frequent basis than is reasonable for
Anthony> gcc.

I'm convinced.

Once we switch to ecj I think we should go even further.  We should
make -findirect-dispatch the default and we should push
C++-ABI-breaking changes.  The only difficulty here is that frysk
uses the C++ ABI.

Tom