[fedora-java] src.zip's and rpms in Eclipse

Ben Konrath bkonrath at redhat.com
Thu Nov 30 20:25:43 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 11:40 -0500, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-29-11 at 08:28 -0800, Anthony Green wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 18:57 -0600, Phil Muldoon wrote:
> > >  Is
> > > there a Wiki page, guide .. or general advice to accomplish this as it
> > > is done via the Classpath rpm?
> >
> > I was under the impression that Eclipse finds the target JDK's src.zip
> > based on well known conventions of JDK layout (which we follow in
> > java-1.4.2-gcj-compat).  As far as I know there's no way to do this for
> > random jar files.  You need to manually attach the source jar/zip to the
> > jar file within Eclipse.
>
> No, I think it can be done for any jar.  Ben will know, though.

Not automatically as far as I can tell. Yes, the Java-GNOME jars have a
source zips but you have to manually add them. I asked about this when
3.0 came out but didn't hear anything and I briefly looked into to
yesterday, but came up with nothing again. I don't have time to
investigate it fully, so I think I'll just file a bug see what they
say.

> > Perhaps it makes sense to add a manifest file tag identifying the
> > location of the jar file's source code.  Then Eclipse could be taught to
> > look for the source itself.  Maybe this is something Andrew and team can
> > tackle as part of their new Eclipse Linux packaging effort at
> > eclipse.org.

Yeah, that a good idea and I've wanted this for a while. I was thinking
of checking a known location, for example if you add
package-version.jar, it would auto-attach package-version-src.zip. This
seems to be a convention that eclipse uses. But using a manifest file
tag would be more robust. Perhaps supporting both would be a good idea
using the manifest as the preferred source.

The only concern I have heard about providing these zips on a large
scale is that the source code is already provided in the debuginfo
packages so making the source zips puts the source code in two places.
However, there are a couple of issues with using the debuginfo packages
like this:

1) AFAIK not all mirrors carry the debuginfo packages and they're not
   enabled by default which means it's hard to rely on them
3) debuginfo generation of Eclipse and I think other java packages is
   broken ATM

As far as doing the work, I personally don't have the time to do it, but
I'll make sure it gets on a general tasks list on the Eclipse Linux
packaging wiki.

HTH,
Ben