[fedora-java] Re: sinjdoc vs gjdoc

Thomas Fitzsimmons fitzsim at redhat.com
Mon Apr 9 19:06:50 UTC 2007

Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am happy to see sinjdoc in Fedora rawhide. And I used that package to
> create a generic version of the classpath docs:
> http://developer.classpath.org/sinjdoc/
> But as you can see it is not as nicely looking (imho of course) as the
> old gjdoc version: http://developer.classpath.org/doc/
> Also it doesn't seem to do highlighted source code linking, a feature I
> really like in gjdoc.
>
> So for non-generic/1.5 code I would like to have gjdoc still around, but
> is seems sinjdoc actually replaces gjdoc. Does it have to?

Not necessarily.  But Andrew Overholt, the Fedora maintainer of gjdoc, wanted to
drop it from the distribution so that he wouldn't have to maintain it anymore.
But it could be re-introduced as a new package in Fedora Extras.

But instead of keeping gjdoc, I'd prefer to see sinjdoc's output improved to
match gjdoc's, and highlighted source code linking support added to it, in the
interests of limiting maintenance overhead (plus it's simpler to point people at
one free javadoc solution).

Tom