[fedora-java] Fedora Eclipse plugin problem

Frode Petersen fropeter at online.no
Tue Apr 17 00:07:56 UTC 2007

Hi. I have a problem with Fedora Eclipse. It was crashing a lot when
using the Omondo EclipseUML plugin. This might be a javaVM memory
problem, and I might have solved that one. I'm about to test that.

While looking for clues, I looked through the plugins using the Help >
Software Updates > Manage Configuration... tool. A lot of plugins are
listed as missing so the features that need them can't find them. I
suppose the reason might be related to installing features after the
install of Eclipse from fc updates.(?)

I checked the filesystem, and found that features were looking in
/usr/share/eclipse/[plugins|features] for things located under
/usr/lib64/eclipse, and vice versa.

Googling, I found this:
>> It's because we moved the platform-specific stuff to /usr/lib (or
>> /usr/lib64).  There's no way around the .eclipse breakage.
>
> Umm I saw that move on rawhide, but for some reason another update moved
> it back to /usr/share. Now that it is settled on /usr/lib all plugins on
> extras will require a rebuild
the whole message at:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-java-list/2006-November/msg00013.html

Does this mean that plugins from eclipse.org and other sites that aren't
built specifically for Fedora Eclipse won't work, or does this only
concern Fedora built plugins?

I guess the answer is no, but... what if I move all plugins to one
location, either /usr/share/... or /usr/lib64/...?

Regards,
Frode Petersen