[fedora-java] libgcj update troubles on fc6

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Tue Jul 3 10:06:31 UTC 2007

Hi,

Seeing there was an updated package for gcc on my FC6 machine I happily
let the thing update itself. However libgcj breaks while updating:

  Updating  : libgcj                       #########################
[1/2]
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/lib/gcj-4.1.2: cpio:
rename

Updated: libgcj.i386 0:4.1.2-13.fc6
Complete!

Notice the happy "Complete!"...
Your resulting gcj environment is now complete borked.

gcj -C Hello.java
Hello.java:0: error: Can't find default package ‘java.lang’. Check the
CLASSPATH environment variable and the access to the archives
1 error

And any attempt to install or update (even after a remove) of libgcj
will fail in the same way. For some reason there are
multiple /usr/lib/gcj-4.1.2;468a1711 dirs (with the part after ; being
some random hex-string) which seem to prevent yum updating or installing
anything.

In the end the only way to get a working install back was to yum remove
libgcj (yes, this takes all the dependencies with it), and then removing
the left over directories
rm -rf /usr/lib/gcj-4.1.2* /usr/lib64/gcj-4.1.2*
And then installing everything again with yum install.

There probably is an easier (and safer) way, and I don't really
understand why this happened in the first place. Comments and ideas
appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark