[fedora-java] Sun vs "free" java on Fedora

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Wed Jul 25 14:29:06 UTC 2007

Joe Desbonnet writes:

 > I'm wondering what the strategy is regarding the existing stack vs
 > the Sun stack now that it's under a Fedora compatible license. Will
 > the two initiatives merge sometime in the future?  I'm sure this
 > has been discussed to death in other forums, but can someone who is
 > familiar with what's going on summarize?

Top level: we don't yet know.

Hopefully we'll soon be shipping Sun's Java or a package derived from
it.  However, it only runs on a couple of the architectures supported
by GNU/Linux, and while we are working on porting it to other
architectures, it'll be a while yet.

There are people who would like to see gcj contine, myself included.
We've recently upgraded gcj to Java 1.5 status.

We'll be supporting both in Fedora for the medium term.

Andrew.

--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903