[fedora-java] /usr/share/java and JNI libraries

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Mar 26 20:41:35 UTC 2007

Le lundi 26 mars 2007 à 16:08 -0400, David Walluck a écrit :

> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > IMHO trying to get the dependencies right on a multilib system will be
> > a nightmare if you try to share the jars (how do you handle the case
> > libs in lib64 but not lib?), and you may have the case when /usr/share
> > is network-mounted on systems with different arches (sparc and
> > x86_64...) so it's not worth the pain. Just make arch-specific packages
> > in arch-specific filesystem-space
>
> I am assuming that jars are arch-independent, meaning the md5sum, say,
> will be the same across platforms. I don't understand when you say ``you
> may have the case when /usr/share is network-mounted on systems with
> different archs''---arch-dependent files don't go in /usr/share in the
> first place.

Sure. But again jni jars are not arch-independent. They depend on
arch-specific binaries to work. How do you ensure the correct
arch-dependent binaries are present if you dump the jars
in /usr/share/java ? Remember it will expose them to build-classpath and
friends. This is different from the usual arch-dependent code use
arch-independant situation. In fact it's the reverse situation so you
need to do the arch filtering at the jar level.

(I'm tired bow, If I make sense to someone can he reword my
explanation?)

--
Nicolas Mailhot