[fedora-java] /usr/share/java and JNI libraries

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon Mar 26 21:00:11 UTC 2007

Le lundi 26 mars 2007 à 16:45 -0400, David Walluck a écrit :

> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > Sure. But again jni jars are not arch-independent. They depend on
> > arch-specific binaries to work. How do you ensure the correct
> > arch-dependent binaries are present if you dump the jars
> > in /usr/share/java ? Remember it will expose them to build-classpath and
> > friends. This is different from the usual arch-dependent code use
> > arch-independant situation. In fact it's the reverse situation so you
> > need to do the arch filtering at the jar level.
> >
> > (I'm tired bow, If I make sense to someone can he reword my
> > explanation?)
>
> Sorry, I am not trying to give you a hard time. I honestly don't get it.
> If a file is the same across all archs, it is by definition
> arch-independent.

My arch-dependency test is a little different : "will it work on any
arch". So a shell script that call an arch-specific binary is not
arch-independent in my book (unless the arch-specific binary is sure to
be present on all supported arches, and that's stretching it)

I don't want to expose useless files to users. Unless you find a way to
make sure jni stuff in /usr/share will always have the needed support
in /usr/lib*, I'd rather segregate it in arch-dependent parts.

> The where to find the library issue seems liek a
> runtime issue only (but I see also the problem of how to express the
> correct Requires for rpm.

This is the big one

Regards,
--