[fedora-java] Fedora java packaging, icedtea vs gcj

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Mon Nov 26 09:28:38 UTC 2007

Sander Hoentjen writes:
 > On Sun, 2007-11-25 at 16:55 +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
 > > Sander Hoentjen writes:
 > >  >
 > >  > There is a program i would like to package (josm), only it doesn't
 > >  > compile with gcj, but it does with icedtea. Can this go into fedora?
 > >
 > > It would be better to avoid that.  Why won't it compile with gcj?
 >
 > The method getMousePosition() is undefined for the type Component
 > So.. how much better is it to avoid it? Do I have to patch the whole
 > program to not use that function (I don't know if I can do it), or
 > should I just go for icedtea?

Ah, okay, this is a method that is new since Java 1.5.

While we can make your package depend on IcedTea if there is
absolutely no way to avoid doing so, it would be better either to fix
libgcj or to fix your program so as to avoid getMousePosition().
Fixing libgcj looks pretty trivial: Component.getMousePosition()
simply calls MouseInfo.getPointerInfo() and adjusts the info relative
to the co-ordinates of its own window.

Calling Classpath AWT mainatainers: can anyone catch this?

Thanks,
Andrew.

--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903