[fedora-java] javax.io / gnu.io (RS232 IO)

Thomas Fitzsimmons fitzsim at redhat.com
Mon Oct 15 15:55:02 UTC 2007

Joe Desbonnet wrote:
> Just wondering if javax.io / gnu.io packages (for IO eg RS232,
> parallel port etc) are going to be part of the Fedora Java suite? The
> project home is at http://www.rxtx.org/

I'm not aware of any plans to include it.  It would be nice to have though.  The
dependency on the non-free Java Communications jar may be a problem.  Also,
packaging JRE extensions in a cross-vendor way is not well-supported yet.  That
said, I wouldn't discourage someone trying -- a motivated volunteer could create
a Fedora feature request.

Tom