[fedora-java] Unable to GNU AutoBuild a simple HelloWorld console application

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Feb 13 21:22:46 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 12:20 -0800, Jeff Johnston wrote:

> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> > I am testing Eclipse on F8, and I have checkout HelloWorld
> > from my SVN repository and into my workspace, choosing
> > GNU AutoBuild but apparently it is unable to auto-build.
> >
> > The error I have reported is:
> >
> > **** Clean-only build of configuration Build (GNU) for project
> > HelloWorld ****
> >
> > make -k distclean
> > make: *** No rule to make target `distclean'.
> > Buildfile generation error occurred..
> > Not possible to generate Makefile and no existing Makefile found
> > Build stopped..
> >
> > So what is the problem
> >

> A GNU Autotools project expects an existing project to have a
> configure
> script or autogen.sh that is used to configure and ultimately
> generate
> the Makefile.  If you do not have these files and don't plan on
> adding
> them,  you should use either the regular Managed Make project which
> will
> create a Makefile for you, or the Std Make project which expects you
> have a Makefile.
>

>From what I can tell, when I checked out HelloWorld  from SVN
repository,
I had chosen the Project Wizard, the Wizard gave me two choices.
(1) C Project or (2) GNU C Autotools Project.  I chosed (2). Then
entered
"HelloWorld" as the Workspace name, then the configuration Project
Type says: "GNU Autotools" and Build(GNU) is checked, then left the
Additional Settings alone and clicked 'Finish".

That is now I ended up with the above reported error.
I assume this is what you mean by 'Managed Make"?

As far as I can tell, there is no 'Managed Make" that I can see...

> Regarding the clean behavior, the Autotools project default is to do
> make distclean which is a standard target in a generated Makefile for
> an
> autotools project.  If one goes to Project ->Properties->C/C++
> Build->Settings->Autotools tab you will find settings for the clean
> behavior.  You can change this to make clean or have the build
> directory
> simply deleted.  The distclean target deletes all files created by
> the
> build and leaves others alone.  This is useful when one wants to
> configure/build directly in the source directory.

I tried both clean and disclean - same error except that the 'disclean'
rule does not appear in 'clean'

> The error message was given because it could not find a Makefile in
> your
> project and there were no configuration files to generate one from.

Yes, that is correct - there is  no Makefile that is generated or
existing.  I am
trying to get the 'Managed Make' to work - but cannot tell how to do
this.

Thanks for responding,
Dan