[fedora-java] compatible provides?

Thomas Fitzsimmons fitzsim at redhat.com
Fri Jun 13 15:25:47 UTC 2008

Benjamin Reed <ranger at opennms.org> writes:

> Would it be possible to add compatible provides to the openjdk -devel
> package?  Since OpenNMS uses Tomcat and/or Jetty, and does not
> precompile it's JSP files, we require a JDK at runtime.
>
> Unfortunately, there are no provides that are the same across OpenJDK
> and Sun's Java:
>
> Sun JDK:
> [ranger at nen ~]$ rpm -q --provides jdk
> jre = 1.5.0_15
> j2sdk = 1.5.0_15
> j2re = 1.5.0_15
> jaxp_parser_impl
> xml-commons-apis
> jdk = 2000:1.5.0_15-fcs
> jaxp_parser_impl
> xml-commons-apis
> jdk = 2000:1.6.0_05-fcs
>
> OpenJDK:
> [ranger at localhost opennms-1.6]$ rpm -q --provides \
> ~   java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel
> java-1.6.0-devel = 1:1.6.0.0
> java-1.7.0-icedtea-devel = 0:1.7.0.0-0.999
> java-devel = 1:1.6.0
> java-devel-openjdk = 1:1.6.0.0
> java-sdk = 1:1.6.0
> java-sdk-1.6.0 = 1:1.6.0.0
> java-sdk-1.6.0-openjdk = 1:1.6.0.0
> java-sdk-openjdk = 1:1.6.0.0
> lib.so
> libunpack.so
> java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel = 1:1.6.0.0-0.13.b09.fc9

We've had problems attempting to be compatible with Sun's RPMs in the
past.  Matt dealt with the xml-commons-apis issue.  I would rather not
risk providing anything provided by Sun's RPM.

The best way to make OpenNMS available for Fedora is to maintain
packages directly in the Fedora repositories.  Alternatively, you
could recommend to users who absolutely must use Sun's proprietary JDK
that they install JPackage-formatted RPMs instead of Sun's RPM.

Tom