[fedora-java] Re: Ownership of /etc/maven/fragments and /usr/share/maven2/poms

Deepak Bhole dbhole at redhat.com
Mon Jun 30 16:53:43 UTC 2008

* Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs at math.uh.edu> [2008-06-28 18:23]:
> Sorry for the resend; this should have the correct address for the
> java list.
>
> I hope I'm CC'ing this sufficiently; I do not know if any
> representatives form the Java group are members of fedora-packaging.
>
> I was reviewing my first maven-using package and ran into an issue
> with the Java packaging guidelines.  Namely that they specify that
> every maven-using package should own /etc/maven/fragments and
> /usr/share/maven2/poms, which contradicts our usual policy on
> directory ownership by multiple packages.
>
> I don't really understand why the packages would need to own those
> directories; jpackage-utils already serves as a kind of filesystem
> package for java, it already owns /etc/maven and several
> java-related directories in /usr/share, and all of the packages which
> would own files in the two directories at issue already depend on it.
> So I think jpackage-utils should just own /etc/maven/fragments and
> /usr/share/maven2/poms and we can tweak the guidelines to not specify
> that the individual packages own these directory.
>
> Another possibility would be to shift this off to a java-filesystem
> package analogous to our other *-filesystem packages which could own
> these and various other java directories.

I think moving them to jpackage-utils would be sufficient, as it owns a
multitude of other java related directories right now. I have put this
down on my TODO list and will get to it on Monday (off today and
tomorrow).

> This would fix ownership issues for 22 packages currently.
>
> Another separate bug related issue is the fact that the contents of
> /etc/maven/fragments do not seem to be configuration files, and so
> probably should not live under /etc.  I do not have sufficient Java
> knowledge to propose a solution, however.

Correct, technically they are not configuration related files. I'd be happy to
move them, but I am not sure what the best place for them is either :/ ..
suggestions are welcome. The files serve as configuration in the sense
that they provide maven with a "mapping" between where maven expects
jars to be, and where they actually are on the system.

Cheers,
Deepak