[fedora-java] Fedora 9: NoClassDefFoundError (LogFactory)

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Fri May 23 18:23:56 UTC 2008

* Caolan McNamara <caolanm at redhat.com> [2008-05-23 14:09]:
> On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 13:45 -0400, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> > Ah, Class-Path entries in JAR manifests aren't allowed in Fedora
> > packages:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Java#head-35dda923a0a2f82c349c3a998edb321da544de33
>
> I'm not too sure I understand the why of this though ?

Here's what Nicolas Mailhot had to say during the Java Packaging
guidelines process:

"the problem with classpathes-in-manifest is you hardcode the location
 of other jar files inside a file. So any common file operation like
 copying, renaming, moving the referenced file or the jar itself will
 break the classpath and trigger difficult-to-debug failures. When the
 classpath is in a single place and not hidden in part inside jar files
 maintenance is much easier and file operations do not require doing
 surgery inside jar files"

 -- http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Java?action=recall&rev=34

> Isn't it a good to remove the burden of knowing what other .jars are
> required to make it work away from consuming apps. And maybe even use
> them as an input into an rpm autorequires sort of thing ?

A Java module system would fix that properly.  Examples include JSR 277
or OSGi.  Supposedly will get something in the JRE/JDK with Java 7.  I
really don't know what I'm talking about here, though, so feel free to
ignore me :)

Andrew