[fedora-java] Mending the Java native library mess before F10

Thomas Fitzsimmons fitzsim at fitzsim.org
Wed Oct 15 18:10:25 UTC 2008

David Walluck <david at zarb.org> writes:

> I was asked to make sure that tanukiwrapper and libreadline-java were
> up to date for F10.
>
> What I found is that there is no consistent policy for either .so
> location or .jar location for Java packages in Fedora.

There is a policy:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Java#Packaging_JAR_files_that_use_JNI

but some existing packages may not follow it.

> Here are some examples:
>
> Library location:
>
> eclipse: /usr/lib64/eclipse

Eclipse is a special case.  Andrew Overholt can comment on this.

> jss: /usr/lib64
> libreadline-java: /usr/lib64/libreadline-java
> tanukiwrapper: /usr/lib64
>
> Jar location:
>
> eclipse: /usr/lib64/java
> jss: /usr/lib/java
> libreadline-java: /usr/lib64/libreadline-java
> tanukiwrapper: /usr/share/java

Ideally jss and tanukiwrapper would be updated to follow the packaging
guidelines.

> I believe that libreadline-java was meant to be the model for the JNI
> policy, but the problem is that jpackage-utils (build-classpath) does
> not seem to be updated to work with the new jar location.

What is the symptom of this problem?

> NB: I tested on F9, so if this has changed, let me know.
>
> We have very little time to do anything about this before the F10
> freeze, so I suggest we take the path of least-resistance, e.g., we
> have to move libreadline-java back

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

> since we would not be able to update all the packages and the tools
> and make sure that they work in time for F10.

Tom