[fedora-java] Mending the Java native library mess before F10

Jesus M. Rodriguez jmrodri at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 20:49:22 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 4:43 PM, David Walluck <david at zarb.org> wrote:
> Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:
>>
>> OK, which packages are these errors affecting?  You could add the
>> libreadline-java jar to CLASSPATH after the build-classpath invocation.
>
> Only libreadline-java is affected right now since that's the only package
> that I found adhering to the policy.
>
> So far, all the packages fail in one of two ways: either the package doesn't
> work with build-classpath, or it doesn't adhere to the policy.
>
>> In any case I don't think you should change libreadline-java to not
>> follow the packaging guidelines, if that's what you were planning.
>
> I would tend to agree, but the tools have not been updated to support this
> configuration. The choice seems to be to change either the tools or any of
> the packages to conform to the packaging guidelines.
>
> As it stands now, I am more concerned with breaking existing build-classpath
> invocations then following the policy since F10 is almost frozen and nothing
> is consistent.
>
> Left as-is, you will just get four packages with four different policies,
> and some of these may break existing builds or scripts.
>
> --
> Sincerely,
>
> David Walluck
> <david at zarb.org>
>
> --

As a consumer of these packages, particularly tanukiwrapper, I prefer
the jar lives in /usr/share/java/ and the
JNI library live in /usr/lib(64). It's nice to know where ALL of the
jar files live. Having to determine if a jar
is native or not and determine whether to look in /usr/lib,
/usr/lib64, or /usr/share/java seems a bit annoying.

If you look at it from the java side, a developer will put the jar
file with all of their other jars. Then put the
library in the platform specific location. So putting the jars in
/usr/share/java really fits inline with this.

Sorry, just offering my 2 cents as a user :) /me didn't realize there
was already policy to do the contrary, I
would've spoke up then.

Sincerely,
jesus rodriguez