[fedora-java] What is the current Fedora / JPackage relationship?

Aaron Clark ophidian at ophidian.homeip.net
Mon Dec 28 00:22:06 UTC 2009

I've been looking to package up some java web frameworks and tools, but
I've run into the issue of the fedora versions of some components being
practically ancient, e.g. jakarta-commons-fileupload.  Now, this package
was originally forked from JPackage, but appears to have stagnated in
Fedora as opposed to JPackage which has continued on and has an
up-to-date version in their repository.

What is the general guidance for java packages on Fedora?  Should a java
user/developer go to JPackage for all their java needs (a la RPMFusion
for your binary graphics drivers and patent encumbered codecs), or
should Fedora itself be packaging everything that is needed?  Do any
Fedora packages also contribute to JPackage?  Furthermore, for the more
pressing issue of severely outdated dependencies, should we be rebasing
to the current JPackage, updating the existing specs, or creating new,
modernized specs to update the packages?

Thanks,
Aaron